Guest Post from Suggestive Digestive || DIY Peppermint Body Scub

My name's Kitty and I write over at Suggestive Digestive and I'm really pleased to guest post at The Birds and The Butterflies today to share a super simple beauty DIY with you!
I have fads of body care through the years but something I always have on a shelf is this home made peppermint sugar scrub. It's seen me through times of intense tan and unfathomable paleness. It's given me super smooth summer skin and a wake up glow on those cant-get-started mornings.
It's also really easy to make, stores for ages, smells delicious and costs hardly anything at all.
I sometimes even make mini gift portions in recycled 1-serving jam jars - SO cute and everyone seems to love them! 
The peppermint oil has several purposes - I mostly like the smell and how it makes me feel super invigorated, but its also great for nausea and headaches and is very soothing. It's great for colds too, when used in a hot shower, which makes a sort of steam-room effect. Very tranquil, until you knock the jar off the side and it bounces off your toe (true story).

Lets get cracking. You can knock this up in about 5 minutes, so it's a perfect quick DIY. 

Shopping List
Big ole Jar
Sugar (granulated! not icing...)
Peppermint Essential Oil
Baby Oil (optional but recommended)
Spoon

1. Pour sugar into the jar - about 1/2 way full
2. Squirt in some baby oil and mix it in. I didn't do this with specific measurements, but put enough in so that you get the consistency of damp sand. Make sure you give it a good stir. (Note: If you aren't using baby oil, skip this step, but be aware your scrub will be much stiffer and won't keep as long). 
3. Add 3-4 drops of Peppermint Oil and continue to stir. You can add more/less if you like - just work to your taste. Bare in mind that peppermint becomes more intense upon contact, so don't go crazy! 
4. Add some more sugar - fill the jar just over 3/4 full.
5. Add more Baby oil and stir until you get the desired consistency. This is sort of up to you, but like I said before, damp sand is a good aim. This will dry out a little the longer you leave it, so its best to have it reasonably moist. 
6. Add more Peppermint oil if you want. 
Now you're done. A 4oz (jam sized) jar lasts me about 3-4 months and costs in the region of 50p.
Just please do not use it on your face. Burn central.


I hope you enjoy this little DIY - you can even get a little creative and use different oils. Orange oil and ginger is beautiful for winter scrubs, whilst Lemon or Tea Tree works really well for energising you in the summer!
If you come up with any fun combos leave them in the comments below! 


2 comments

  1. This is such a lovely sounding recipe, I can't wait to try it!
    Peace xo
    www.waitwhatok.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to make my own lemon scrub with coconut oil, but the sugar just settled at the bottom and the liquid stayed at the top.. for some reason, my coconut oil was liquified instead of solid as well. ugh! I just decided to buy an actual scrub haha.. I still use my concoction for my lips, though.

    Ayre

    ReplyDelete